As a co-host of Extreme Weight Loss with her husband Chris Powell, bestselling author, personal trainer, fitness competitor, AND mother of four, it's safe to say Heidi Powell has a lot on her plate. (A plate packed with protein, that is.) When she's not on the road for speaking engagements or personal appearances, she can be found at home in Arizona—often in the gym in her garage. The super-fit supermom recently took some time out of her busy schedule to talk family, fitness, and footwear.
1. What time does your alarm go off in the morning?
Doesn’t matter because I almost always snooze. In the summertime, I need to be up by 6:00 to get the kids ready for swimming. Otherwise, it depends on what time I go to bed. I NEED eight hours with the amount of exercise I get.
2. What's your favorite family fitness activity?
Simple garage workouts since our garage is set up as our home gym. The kids LOVE when we set up circuits for them. I love having them out there with us.
3. What fitness trend would you like to see go away? And which would you love to make a comeback?
Two-a-day cardio can take a hike. It’s not healthy to do that much working out in one day. We need people to stop crashing their metabolisms for instant results. And my favorite comeback trend? Leg warmers and thong over spandex get-ups from the '80s and '90s! Because why not?
4. High heels or sneakers? Neither—flip-flops! And I will even work out in them if I don’t need to do legs.
5. What's your favorite splurge: French fries or ice cream? Both! I like to dip fries IN my ice cream! Well, really a Wendy’s Frosty…ketchup on one side, frosty on the other!
6. What show are you currently binge watching? I couldn’t even tell you the last time I watched TV for pleasure. How sad is that?! So maybe Mickey Mouse Clubhouse because it’s on all the time!
7. What would you do if you had 24 hours of "me time?" Get a massage (or two), do a workout, get caught up on work and other correspondences! That...is stress relief to me!